The BCA-AIA Summer Bike Commute Challenge is all wrapped up. It again proved to be a fun and engaging competition with over 40 teams participating and over 47,000 miles commuted by bike. The average percent of trips made by bike in Anchorage is reported to be 1.5%. The competition is broken down into classes based on employer size and business compete to have the highest percentage of trips by bike.
Our 2012 Bike Commute Challenge winners are:
- X-Large (over 200 employees): Conoco-Philips with 1.2% bike commute trips.
- Large (between 51-200 employees): Alaska Center for the Environment & Trailside Discovery Camp with 10% bike commute trips.
- Medium (between 16-and 50 employees): ECI/Hyer Architecture and Interiors – Hyer’s Flyers with 17% bike commute trips (and winner second year in a row).
- Small (between 1 and 15 employees): Kittelson & Associates with 39% bike commute trips (and winner second year in a row).
For the most miles biked, the top three individuals are:
- Cindi Pannone (USKH ) with 1539 miles.
- Kelsey Clinton (Alaska Center for the Environment/Trailside Discovery Camp) with 862miles.
- Art Copoulos (ConocoPhillips) with 852 miles.
For the most trips made out of a possible 136 trips, the top three individuals are:
- Marcus Geist (USKH) with 112 trips.
- Jim Gove (ANTHC, CHS, Hepatits & Liver Disease Clinic) with 108 trips.
- Raylene Erickson (Anchorage School District Education Center) with 104 trips.
Our awards ceremony would not be possible without our sponsors. A big thanks to:
- Alaska Wildland Adventures
- The Alaska Railroad
- The Alaska Club
- The Bear Tooth and Moose’s Tooth
- City Diner
- Deb Winkelman Bike Jewelry
- Fire Island Rustic Bakeshop
- Great Harvest Bakery
- Midnight Sun Brewery
- Paramount Cycles
- Resource Data, Inc.
- Sidestreet Espresso
- Speedway Cycles
- Spenard Roadhouse
- Steamdot Coffee
Here are the full results
X-Large Percentage bike trips
|Alaska Railroad Corp. – Chain Gang||0.6%|
|Alaska Regional Hospital||0.1%|
Large Percentage bike trips
|Alaska Center for the Environment/Trailside Discovery Camp||9.9%|
|Resource Data, Inc. – RDI Riders||7.1%|
|R&M Consultants, Inc.||2.3%|
|Alaska Sand & Gravel||3.0%|
|Anchorage School District Education Center||0.9%|
|Anchorage Fracture & Orthopedic Clinic||0.7%|
Medium Teams Percentage bike trips
|ECI/Hyer Architecture and Interiors –Hyer’s Flyers||17%|
|Kumin Associates – KAI Psycho-lists||12%|
|Alaska State Parks Design & Construction||6.9%|
|Katmai Oncology Group||6.32%|
|RIM Architects – RIM Rockstars||6.27%|
|Office of Special Prosecutions and Appeals – The Prosecutors.||4.3%|
|Golder Associates Inc. – Golder Green||3.3%|
|UAA Institute of Social and Economic Research||4.2%|
|State of Alaska – Division of Public Health / Section of Women’s Children’s & Family Health – WCFH – We Cycle for Fun and Health!||2.7%|
|PDC Inc. Engineers||Not Reported|
|The Boneshakers (RSA Engineering)||Not Reported|
Small Teams Percentage bike trips
|Kittelson & Associates||39%|
|Hanson Alaska, LLC Team Name: Hanson Roadsters||25%|
|Trustees for Alaska||25%|
|Kinney Engineering, LLC||31%|
|Center for Biological Diversity||29%|
|The Maternity Outpatient Clinics & Services Dept., Providence Hospital||28%|
|AK Airlines/Horizon Air Employees Federal Credit Union||20%|
|Anchorage Dept. of Health Air Quality Section||17%|
|State of Alaska Career Support & Training Services Central||10%|
|ANTHC, CHS, Hepatitis & Liver Disease Clinic – Liver Lovers||9.5%|
|Alaska Community Action on Toxics – Two-Tired Toxies||7.8%|
|UAA English Department – Bicycle Writers||5%|
|ADOT&PF, Statewide Design and Engineering, Anchorage||3.2%|
|Earthscape – Design Divas||2.5%* (over 50% including walking trips)|