Job Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Bike Anchorage Board of Directors
Hours: Full-time salaried (expected average ~32 hours/week)
Annual salary: $50,000 - $70,000 depending on experience
Benefits: Health care reimbursement, 14 paid holidays, 26 days paid personal leave (starting), paid parental leave
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Start Date: ~July 16th, 2023
Hiring Timeline: Open until filled; interviews will begin June 1st.
About Bike Anchorage:
Bike Anchorage is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that works to create a more bike-friendly city through Advocacy, Education, and Encouragement. Bike Anchorage is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and members of BIPOC and LGBTQIA communities. If you feel you are underqualified but are interested in the position, feel free to reach out to the email address below to discuss.
Summary of Position:
Bike Anchorage seeks an organized and self-directed individual to advance our organization’s commitment to making Anchorage more bicycle friendly. The Executive Director is the sole paid employee of the organization and is responsible for program management, fundraising, communications, partnership building, volunteer management, and administrative tasks. This position offers opportunities for professional growth and development, including formal training and conference attendance. This is a work-from-home position with a flexible schedule aside from in-person events and scheduled meetings. Bike Anchorage is an at-will employer, and the position is contingent on continued fundraising, with a strong record of success over the past 5 years.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to set organizational priorities and goals, ensuring alignment with the mission and vision of the organization.
- Lead and manage the implementation of programs to achieve the established goals, including events, outreach, and organizational management, as detailed below.
- Plan and manage fundraising efforts for the organization, including applying for grants, building relationships with individual donors, and managing a gaming permit.
- Lead communications and information sharing, including writing and sending newsletters, blog posts, website updates, social media, reports, and other public-facing outreach.
- Lead planning and implementation of events for Bike Anchorage members and the public.
- Track program success and report to the Board of Directors at monthly meetings.
- Serve as a public-facing organization representative at events and meetings with decision-makers.
- Manage finances, including following an annual budget, tracking expenses, and paying bills.
- Manage the organization’s property and equipment.
- Teach bicycle safety education courses in Anchorage. Must become a League Certified Instructor (LCI) through the League of American Bicyclists within the first 6 months of employment. Training paid by Bike Anchorage.
- Support fiduciary groups under the Bike Anchorage umbrella with their fundraising efforts.
- Physical demands: activities may involve lifting gear and equipment up to 55 lbs and standing or sitting outside for prolonged hours during events. Bike Anchorage will make any necessary accommodations wherever possible.
Desired Qualifications (at least three of the following):
- Experience managing an organization or projects (whether in a lead or supporting role), including running events, administrative tasks, or financial management.
- Experience in grant-writing, ideally with a proven track record of raising funds for a 501(c)(3) organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge and relevant experience in transportation, government, policy, and advocacy.
- Adept with social media and web-based outreach tools
- Commitment to organizing people to achieve change.
- Strong time-management and project-management skills, with the ability to meet goals and deadlines without active supervision and in collaboration with volunteers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to build trust and maintain relationships with diverse partners across the city and the country.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and three references to [email protected] with the subject line "Bike Anchorage Executive Director." Receipt of your application will be acknowledged with an email reply. No phone calls, please.